Friday, October 22, 2010

Good Pain

Hedonism is described as avoiding pain and seeking pleasure.  While that sounds appealing on the surface, the concept causes us to ultimately miss out on significant growth in our lives.

I've never been much of a weight lifter.  I tried getting into it a time or two in my life, but never fully committed to it.  But as I understand it, the resistance that we encounter when lifting weights is what causes our muscles to grow and expand.  That's why not many people ever master the sport - it's just too painful (and who really has time anyway?).

But just like the resistance we encounter in lifting weights causes our muscles to strengthen, the resistance we encounter in life causes our lives to strengthen.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that we go out and look for pain.  But pain is not something to be avoided either.
In the Bible, James encourages us with this:
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."  James 1:2-3 (NIV)

How do we avoid pain?
  • Not saying the difficult things in relationships.
  • Not taking risks.
  • Not sacrificing for others.
  • Holding on to addictions instead of giving them up for abundant life.
  • The list goes on and on...
Not only do we shirk trials and pain for ourselves, but we try to protect our kids from the same thing.  Rescuing parents put so much effort in trying to keep their kids from experiencing pain that their children don't develop the necessary skills and inner-strength to navigate life successfully.  We create prolonged adolescences because we give our children way to much privilege and don't require enough responsibility.  Ask yourself the following questions:
  • Have I ever rescued my child by doing his homework for him?
  • Am I constantly saying, "Don't do that or you'll get hurt!"?
  • Does my teenager have a cell phone and car with insurance and gas that she doesn't pay for or have to earn?
  • Do I consistently interfere in relational struggles that my child is experiencing?
Not all pain is good however.  Don't confuse trials and suffering with consequences from sin.  Sin is never good, no matter what you learn from it.  Don't say when experiencing the consequences from adultery, "I just wonder what God wants me to learn from this."  I think the answer is pretty clear - adultery is bad.
But not all pain is bad either.  It may not be pleasant, but pain and suffering produces growth and strength that you would not otherwise possess.  Trials should be learning experiences.  Paul stated that he wanted to know Christ and fellowship with him through suffering (Philippians 3:10).

Consider this when fearing a trial or suffering.  Learn to embrace those situations instead of fearing or even avoiding them.  Gain some spiritual muscle!

2 comments:

  1. I like your post, Ryan. Good reminder to utilize our God- given muscle: our mind.
    What do you think we'd be like if there was p90x
    for our spiritual walk? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rob. That sounds like self-inflicting pain to me! :o

    ReplyDelete