Friday, October 29, 2010

78 Yellow Camaro

Growing up in Bartlesville, Oklahoma, I was always a kinda average guy.  Played sports, but not an athlete.  Made good grades, but not a brainiac.  Had lots of friends, but not popular.  Not a ton of identity.  But in the summer of 1990, that all changed.  I fell in love... not with a girl, but with my first car - a 1978 canary yellow Camaro (much like the one in this picture).  I remember my dad and I went to pick out this car together.  The discerning wheeler and dealer, my dad talked the seller from the asking price of $1750 all the way down to $1700.

The car wasn't perfect, but it was mine!  I began pouring some money and sweat into that bright beacon of life.  New radio, new speakers, new paint job, new door handles, etc.  Out of a labor of love, I began "renovating" that car that I loved.  I eventually traded it in for a truck, but that car will always have a special place in my heart.

Since then, I've had a love for renovation.  I've dabbled in it with houses I've owned.  Nothing big, but new floors, paint, etc.  I also love those television shows where they take a run down home and make it into something beautiful.

As I think about my interest in renovation, I'm reminded of another Renovator.  One who doesn't get excited about cars and houses, but one who is in the business of renovating lives.  What God created was beautiful and perfect.  However, the effects of sin messed everything up.  But because of his great love for individuals, God has been renovating lives ever since.  I believe this is why counseling has always been so appealing to me.  I love seeing God take broken lives and relationships and begin to restore those to their original intent.

And the original intent can be seen in the person of Jesus.  Check out this passage in Romans:

"God knew what he was doing from the very beginning. He decided from the outset to shape the lives of those who love him along the same lines as the life of his Son. The Son stands first in the line of humanity he restored. We see the original and intended shape of our lives there in him. After God made that decision of what his children should be like, he followed it up by calling people by name. After he called them by name, he set them on a solid basis with himself. And then, after getting them established, he stayed with them to the end, gloriously completing what he had begun."  Romans 8:29-30 (The Message)

Once we choose to follow Jesus, God begins the amazing work of transforming our lives to look more like Christ.  The challenge for us is this - are you joining him in his transformation, or are you resisting it?  Put yourself in a position today of joining with God in the renovation of your life.  Practice his presence, get to know him through Scripture, be mindful of what he's doing in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment